Huge blow to Children’s Air Ambulance: Stock destroyed in flood before Stoke Newington charity shop even opened
- Credit: Archant
Calls have been made for urgent donations after all the stock in a Stoke Newington charity shop - which should have opened today - was destroyed in a flood after a water pipe burst.
The set back could cost the Children’s Air Ambulance - which transports critically ill children to hospitals like Great Ormond Street and Evelina - hundreds of pounds worth of earnings in the run up to Christmas.
A pipe burst in the Church Street shop over the weekend, most of the stock was damaged beyond repair when water leaked through the ceiling.
The flooring needs to be replaced throughout the whole shop, which also needs redecorating.
The charity is urgently appealing for new stock along with cash donations and for volunteers to make sure the new shop can open as quickly as possible.
You may also want to watch:
Dave Buttress, area manager for the Children’s Air Ambulance, said: “As we’re close to the Christmas period now, every day we have to remain closed represents a large loss of earnings.”
“We hope to be open to trade as soon as we have rectified the damage.”
- 1 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 2 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 3 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
To volunteer or donate, call 0208 3406 245 for more information.
Supporters can also donate £5 to the shop by texting HELI5 to 70800, or on their website at www.childrensairambulance.org.uk.