Hundreds get wrong ballot papers in Hackney ward boundary mix-up
- Credit: Archant
About 350 people received the wrong ballot papers after an alleged mix-up over ward boundaries.
Following a review by the Local Government Boundary Commission for England, there are now 21 wards. Previously, there were 19.
Voters in the former New River and Lordship wards - which are now known as Stamford Hill West and Woodberry Down - have complained about receiving two sets of ballot papers, and in some cases, the wrong ones.
Leila Abraham, 93, of Ajex House in East Bank, Stamford Hill, received two sets of voting papers. She said: “We got two sets of voting papers and nobody told us which one to use. Nobody has told us about the boundary changes either. We used to be New River ward. We got polling cards for Springfield and Stamford Hill West. We were not informed of anything. It’s ridiculous.
“Women fought for the vote and we are denied it. Who was sorting them? Somebody does not know their job or they have tried to make the votes invalid.”
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said: “There are in the region of 174,000 electors in the borough. With the boundary changes implementation, about 350 residents were placed in the wrong area when we drew up the polling stations list according to the new ward boundaries. As soon this error came to our attention, we sent replacement information including the correct ballot papers for their correct areas and polling stations.”
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images