Hundreds get wrong ballot papers in Hackney ward boundary mix-up
- Credit: Archant
About 350 people received the wrong ballot papers after an alleged mix-up over ward boundaries.
Following a review by the Local Government Boundary Commission for England, there are now 21 wards. Previously, there were 19.
Voters in the former New River and Lordship wards - which are now known as Stamford Hill West and Woodberry Down - have complained about receiving two sets of ballot papers, and in some cases, the wrong ones.
Leila Abraham, 93, of Ajex House in East Bank, Stamford Hill, received two sets of voting papers. She said: “We got two sets of voting papers and nobody told us which one to use. Nobody has told us about the boundary changes either. We used to be New River ward. We got polling cards for Springfield and Stamford Hill West. We were not informed of anything. It’s ridiculous.
“Women fought for the vote and we are denied it. Who was sorting them? Somebody does not know their job or they have tried to make the votes invalid.”
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said: “There are in the region of 174,000 electors in the borough. With the boundary changes implementation, about 350 residents were placed in the wrong area when we drew up the polling stations list according to the new ward boundaries. As soon this error came to our attention, we sent replacement information including the correct ballot papers for their correct areas and polling stations.”
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney