Hunt for Hackney residents to carry Olympic flame
The search is on for 30 Hackney torchbearers with inspirational stories, to carry the Olympic flame through the borough on its 8,000 mile journey next year.
Hackney residents are being encouraged to nominate worthy contenders as part of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG) ‘Moment to Shine’ Torchbearer nomination campaign.
It aims to find 2,012 inspirational members of the public as part of the team of 8,000 carrying the flame 8,000 miles across the UK.
The torch will be lit in Olympia, Greece, and the UK relay will start at Land’s End in Cornwall on May 19, to finally reach the Stratford Olympic Stadium on July 27 for the lighting of the cauldron at the opening ceremony.
Residents have until next Wednesday June 29 to nominate someone who they feel could represent the borough and take on the prestigious role of torchbearer.
You may also want to watch:
Bearers need to be over 12 years old, live in the UK, but not necessarily be British citizens and have a story that will inspire millions of people around the world.
The torch itself has extra meaning for Hackney, as it was designed by Shoreditch-based designers Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby who live in Charlotte Road.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
Visit www.london2012.com/olympictorchrelay or call 0800 111 6448 for more information.