Illegal Hoxton block could stay after Hackney planners back rogue developer’s modified plans
- Credit: Archant
A rogue developer ordered to tear down an illegal block of flats in Hoxton and pay £700,000 could be allowed to keep it standing after town hall officers backed his new plans.
Yusuf Sarodia of Garland Development Ltd built 34 flats for private rent in Stanway Street, without permission.
He was eventually prosecuted by Hackney Council in a landmark case at the end of 2015, but 18 months on the building is still there covered in scaffolding. Neighbours even feared it was getting bigger last month and work was stopped.
But now, amended proposals have won the support of planners.
In papers published ahead of a meeting on Monday, they said the bid was in line with policy, even though the plans would keep the structure at six storeys.
You may also want to watch:
The number of flats would be reduced to 16, eight of which would be “affordable”, and part of the block would be demolished to shrink its footprint.
There would be more workspace and windows would be removed to stop intrusion into neighbouring homes.
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 9 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets