In pictures: Alter Ego 2016
- Credit: Archant
Street crew Steppaz wowed the sell-out at the Hackney Empire on an “epic dance journey” before they were crowned winners of Alter Ego 2016.
Nine acts performed in the final of Hackney Council’s talent contest on Friday, hosted by MTV presenter Kat B with special guests, Hackney singer, rapper and Waterloo Road actress, Paigey Cakey, grime artist Ghetts and grime DJ and producer, Rude Kid, who took to the decks.
But it was the 10-strong dance crew, made up of girls aged between 12 and 16 years old, who emerged victorious.
Stacey Mcknight, 29, managing director of the Steppaz dance school which is based in Edmonton and Tottenham, said: “They took the audience on an epic journey with the different tempos.
“They didn’t expect to win, because there were such good singers, the choir blew us away in rehearsal, they were very nervous, they didn’t know they had it in the bag, they were just going to go out there and give the audience everything they had in their bodies an they did that.
You may also want to watch:
“Their talents are phenomenal, when they first started some of them couldn’t do certain styles, I’d say if you can’t do it today you will do it tomorrow or the next day, some of them have come so far, they argue like sisters, they are so close, they have developed friendships and a sisterhood.”
Steppaz were selected through a 50/50 combination of audience text votes and judging panel votes.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
Second place went to singer, Alexia Fernandes, 16 and third, to 15 year-old, singer and guitarist, Josh Tenor.