In pictures: Alter Ego 2016
- Credit: Archant
Street crew Steppaz wowed the sell-out at the Hackney Empire on an “epic dance journey” before they were crowned winners of Alter Ego 2016.
Nine acts performed in the final of Hackney Council’s talent contest on Friday, hosted by MTV presenter Kat B with special guests, Hackney singer, rapper and Waterloo Road actress, Paigey Cakey, grime artist Ghetts and grime DJ and producer, Rude Kid, who took to the decks.
But it was the 10-strong dance crew, made up of girls aged between 12 and 16 years old, who emerged victorious.
Stacey Mcknight, 29, managing director of the Steppaz dance school which is based in Edmonton and Tottenham, said: “They took the audience on an epic journey with the different tempos.
“They didn’t expect to win, because there were such good singers, the choir blew us away in rehearsal, they were very nervous, they didn’t know they had it in the bag, they were just going to go out there and give the audience everything they had in their bodies an they did that.
You may also want to watch:
“Their talents are phenomenal, when they first started some of them couldn’t do certain styles, I’d say if you can’t do it today you will do it tomorrow or the next day, some of them have come so far, they argue like sisters, they are so close, they have developed friendships and a sisterhood.”
Steppaz were selected through a 50/50 combination of audience text votes and judging panel votes.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
Second place went to singer, Alexia Fernandes, 16 and third, to 15 year-old, singer and guitarist, Josh Tenor.