In pictures: Speaker of Hackney’s fancy dress party
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters donned their favourite fancy dress costumes to join the Speaker of Hackney’s fancy dress party.
Snow White, Superman, Darth Vader and Hans Solo were amongst the characters seen at the party in the Town Hall in Mare Street last Friday where they sung karaoke and played giant Jenga and Connect Four.
Hackney’s Speaker, Cllr Etti, organised the party so she can “meet as many people of all ages” while she is Speaker – an honorary year-long post.
As the Council has a directly elected mayor with executive powers, the Speaker fulfils many of the ceremonial and public duties traditionally associated with the role of mayor.
Cllr Etti, said: ‘’We had such a great afternoon seeing children in dazzling costumes. I really enjoyed meeting all the children and their parents and would like to thank everyone who has supported us.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope that this becomes an annual event for the Speaker.”
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 9 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 10 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding