In pictures: Speaker of Hackney’s fancy dress party
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters donned their favourite fancy dress costumes to join the Speaker of Hackney’s fancy dress party.
Snow White, Superman, Darth Vader and Hans Solo were amongst the characters seen at the party in the Town Hall in Mare Street last Friday where they sung karaoke and played giant Jenga and Connect Four.
Hackney’s Speaker, Cllr Etti, organised the party so she can “meet as many people of all ages” while she is Speaker – an honorary year-long post.
As the Council has a directly elected mayor with executive powers, the Speaker fulfils many of the ceremonial and public duties traditionally associated with the role of mayor.
Cllr Etti, said: ‘’We had such a great afternoon seeing children in dazzling costumes. I really enjoyed meeting all the children and their parents and would like to thank everyone who has supported us.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope that this becomes an annual event for the Speaker.”
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia