In pictures: Speaker of Hackney’s fancy dress party
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters donned their favourite fancy dress costumes to join the Speaker of Hackney’s fancy dress party.
Snow White, Superman, Darth Vader and Hans Solo were amongst the characters seen at the party in the Town Hall in Mare Street last Friday where they sung karaoke and played giant Jenga and Connect Four.
Hackney’s Speaker, Cllr Etti, organised the party so she can “meet as many people of all ages” while she is Speaker – an honorary year-long post.
As the Council has a directly elected mayor with executive powers, the Speaker fulfils many of the ceremonial and public duties traditionally associated with the role of mayor.
Cllr Etti, said: ‘’We had such a great afternoon seeing children in dazzling costumes. I really enjoyed meeting all the children and their parents and would like to thank everyone who has supported us.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope that this becomes an annual event for the Speaker.”
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12