Woman rescued from Benthal Road blaze
- Credit: LFB
A woman was rescued from a flat fire in Hackney which is believed to have been caused by incense sticks left unattended.
A section of the ground floor flat in a mid-terraced house on Benthal Road was damaged by the fire in the early hours of February 23.
One woman managed to escape the building before three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Stoke Newington and Homerton stations arrived.
Station Officer Jason Butcher said: “We were called by a neighbour who heard smoke alarms sounding in the flat below.
“On arrival firefighters found a small fire behind the front door of the property and worked quickly to bring it under control.”
You may also want to watch:
At around 4am, firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued another woman from the flat and she was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service (LAS) crews.
LFB fire investigators believe the blaze was caused by incense sticks.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 4 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 5 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 6 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 9 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park
- 10 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
Station Officer Butcher added: “Incense sticks, candles and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire within homes. It’s really important that you never leave these items unattended.”
The fire was under control just after 5am.