Haggerston indie bookshop Burley Fisher celebrates first birthday with award nod
- Credit: Isabel Infantes
It’s been celebration time at Burley Fisher Books in Haggerston, which has received a nod for best indie bookshop in the capital on its first birthday.
The Kingsland Road store has been shortlisted at the British Book Awards along with five others, including Pages of Hackney in Lower Clapton Road.
“We were pretty surprised and really thrilled,” said Sam Fisher, who runs the shop with Jason Burley. “It came at a serendipitous time with our birthday.
“When we started our goal for the first year was just to still be here, so we’re really pleased.”
The regional winners will be announced on Wednesday, with the national gong being given out in May.
Sam believes the store’s success is down to the resurgence in physical book sales, coupled with the events space now open in its basement after a Kickstarter raised £9,000 for the renovation.
“I also think it’s because of where we are in Hackney,” he added. “And we have a lot of stuff going on. It’s a combination of different things, trying to match our ideas to the area.”
- 1 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 4 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 5 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 6 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 7 Jailed: Hackney man sentenced for fatal hit-and-run
- 8 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 9 Teenage girls arrested after incident in Kingsland High Street
- 10 Hackney man wanted by Surrey Police
Eleanor Lowenthal opened Pages of Hackney in 2008, and, after being nominated three times before, is hoping it’s fourth time lucky.
“It feels great,” she said. “We’ve been selling more books than we ever have before and we’ve been doing more stuff in schools and hosting events too.
“Sam and I are great friends though, so if they win I’ll be happy too.”