Installation of Hackney Wick subway will see Overground line from Stratford to Camden Road shut at Easter
- Credit: tfl
The Overground line between Camden Road and Stratford will be shut for the whole of the Easter weekend so a new subway can be installed at Hackney Wick station.
The 2,000-tonne concrete structure has already been built on land to the north side of the station.
Between April 14 and April 17 the track and platforms will be removed and the subway driven into place on rollers.
The new tunnel will provide ground level north-to-south access below the existing railway line, and replace the footbridge that was taken out last month.
The subway is part of a £25million Network Rail scheme that should be complete next year. It is being funded by the London Legacy Development Corporation, and Hackney Council and Tower Hamlets Council, which have both contributed £1m.
You may also want to watch:
Further work includes an illuminated glass wall through the subway to separate paying customers using the station and those who want to use it to walk through.
A new entrance and ticket hall at ground floor level are also planned along with new stairs and two new lifts.
- 1 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 2 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 3 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 4 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 5 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 6 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 7 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 8 Meet the Wonder Warriors – the charity helping women with endometriosis
- 9 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 10 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
The subway’s design draws on the area’s industrial heritage and waterways, and the wall has been designed to look like “light reflecting off water”.