Tottenham boys help England return to winning ways
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Several Spurs players were involved in international matches on Tuesday
Danny Rose produced a strong performance to inspire England to a 1-0 win at home to Switzerland at the King Power Stadium last night.
The full-back was awarded man of the match following an energetic display down the left and almost scored in the first half.
Marcus Rashford’s goal in the 54th minute proved the difference between the two sides in the friendly encounter.
Gareth Southgate picked Spurs defender Danny Rose and midfielder Eric Dier from the off, but left Kieran Trippier and Harry Kane on the bench.
You may also want to watch:
Left-back Rose managed to play 79 minutes before he was replaced by Ben Chilwell and Trippier was introduced for the final 12 minutes in Leicester.
Kane was already on the pitch by this point after Southgate decided to bring him on in the 61st minute for Arsenal’s Danny Welbeck.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 8 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
Dier completed 90 minutes and captained the Three Lions following an excellent cameo during Saturday’s 2-1 loss in the UEFA Nations League Group A4 to Spain at Wembley Stadium.
Elsewhere, Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen played the whole match for Belgium as they defeated Iceland 3-0 in the Group A2 of the UEFA Nations League.
Mousa Dembele also came on with 10 minutes to go as the Tottenham Hotspur trio enjoyed more success with their country.
Heung-min Son was involved in South Korea’s goalless friendly draw with Chile and surprisingly played the full 90 minutes.
After leading from the front in the recent Asian Games success, the attacker has been used twice by his country over this international week despite the forward probably being in desperate need of a rest.
Davinson Sanchez played a key role for Colombia in their stalemate with Argentina in New Jersey.
The centre back completed the whole game and stopped a youthful La Albiceleste side from scoring in the friendly and will now be looking to link up with his club team as soon as possible to prepare for Saturday’s Premier League clash with Liverpool.
Finally, Spurs youngster Cameron Carter-Vickers played 90 minutes for the United States and helped them see off Mexico 1-0 in an international game in Nashville.