Vertonghen and Alderweireld shut out Scotland for routine win
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Spurs will find out their fixtures for the new Premier League season this week
Tottenham Hotspur defenders Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld managed to help Belgium to a comfortable 3-0 victory over Scotland in a Euro 2020 qualifier on Tuesday night.
The long-serving Spurs pair finally concluded a long 2018/19 campaign with another win to keep the Red Devils in control of their group.
Vertonghen and Alderweireld completed 90 minutes each and can now jet off and enjoy a summer break before they return to Hotspur Way next month.
Elsewhere, it was not such good news for Ben Davies, who was unable to stop Wales losing 1-0 away to Hungary
You may also want to watch:
The left-back played the whole match and received a booking on a bad night for his nation, who look likely to struggle to qualify for Euro 2020.
Hugo Lloris and Moussa Sissoko managed to help France bounce back after a loss in Turkey with a comprehensive 4-0 victory over Andorra.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
Spurs' captain and goalkeeper started in goal for the world champions while midfield maestro Sissoko was introduced off the bench with half an hour to go.
The Euro 2020 qualifier win boosted France's confidence and ensured Lloris and his club and international team-mate can enjoy a break off the back of national team success.
Youngster Anthony Georgiou endured a tough night in Russia with Cyprus going down 1-0 and the Spurs under-23 ace replaced at half time.
Meanwhile, Heung-min Son played 90 minutes again for South Korea and captained his country to a 1-1 friendly draw with Iran.
Tottenham will find out their fixtures for the new Premier League season tomorrow morning (Thursday) at 9am.
The 2019/20 campaign will get underway on August 10, 2019 and conclude on May 17, 2020.
You have to go back to the 2010/11 season to find the last time Tottenham were at home on the opening day, with each of the fixtures on the first day since being away.
The last two have been at Newcastle United while the Lilywhites have also had trips to Everton, Manchester United, West Ham United and Crystal Palace recently.
In terms of results, Spurs have managed to win on the opening day in the last couple of seasons with a 2-1 victory achieved at St James' Park in 2018.
Dele Alli was on target that day and also in the 2-0 success at Newcastle a year earlier while before that it was a 1-1 draw at Everton in 2016 after an Erik Lamela goal.
See our website at 9am tomorrow for Tottenham's fixtures for the 2019/20 campaign.