Island Social Club to launch in Haggerston championing Caribbean culture
- Credit: Archant
A modern day social club showcasing British Caribbean culture through food and drink has found a home in Kingsland Road.
Island Social Club has been running pop-up events since early last year, and is now opening in Curio Cabal, Haggerston, next month from Tuesdays to Saturdays.
Founded by Marie Mitchell and Jospeh Pilgrim, the venue will host their individual and joint projects and be a hub for exploring the Caribbean culture.
Marie’s menu will be inspired by previous projects Rumshop and Rotishop and Joseph will be running his popular rum bar.
The venue will cater for up to 35 people with an outside space during the summer. There will also be live music, exhibitions, talks, poetry readings and other cultural events.
You may also want to watch:
“We feel our experience is distinct from anything we’ve experienced on the British high street,” said Joseph. “We want Island Social Club to become an establishment that is a clear representation of our modern London lives but also a space to explore and share our brilliant Caribbean heritage, from island culture to contemporary Black British culture.”
It will launch on February 15. For more click here.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities