Island Social Club to launch in Haggerston championing Caribbean culture
- Credit: Archant
A modern day social club showcasing British Caribbean culture through food and drink has found a home in Kingsland Road.
Island Social Club has been running pop-up events since early last year, and is now opening in Curio Cabal, Haggerston, next month from Tuesdays to Saturdays.
Founded by Marie Mitchell and Jospeh Pilgrim, the venue will host their individual and joint projects and be a hub for exploring the Caribbean culture.
Marie’s menu will be inspired by previous projects Rumshop and Rotishop and Joseph will be running his popular rum bar.
The venue will cater for up to 35 people with an outside space during the summer. There will also be live music, exhibitions, talks, poetry readings and other cultural events.
You may also want to watch:
“We feel our experience is distinct from anything we’ve experienced on the British high street,” said Joseph. “We want Island Social Club to become an establishment that is a clear representation of our modern London lives but also a space to explore and share our brilliant Caribbean heritage, from island culture to contemporary Black British culture.”
It will launch on February 15. For more click here.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens