Island Social Club to launch in Haggerston championing Caribbean culture
- Credit: Archant
A modern day social club showcasing British Caribbean culture through food and drink has found a home in Kingsland Road.
Island Social Club has been running pop-up events since early last year, and is now opening in Curio Cabal, Haggerston, next month from Tuesdays to Saturdays.
Founded by Marie Mitchell and Jospeh Pilgrim, the venue will host their individual and joint projects and be a hub for exploring the Caribbean culture.
Marie’s menu will be inspired by previous projects Rumshop and Rotishop and Joseph will be running his popular rum bar.
The venue will cater for up to 35 people with an outside space during the summer. There will also be live music, exhibitions, talks, poetry readings and other cultural events.
You may also want to watch:
“We feel our experience is distinct from anything we’ve experienced on the British high street,” said Joseph. “We want Island Social Club to become an establishment that is a clear representation of our modern London lives but also a space to explore and share our brilliant Caribbean heritage, from island culture to contemporary Black British culture.”
It will launch on February 15. For more click here.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems