Island Social Club to launch in Haggerston championing Caribbean culture
- Credit: Archant
A modern day social club showcasing British Caribbean culture through food and drink has found a home in Kingsland Road.
Island Social Club has been running pop-up events since early last year, and is now opening in Curio Cabal, Haggerston, next month from Tuesdays to Saturdays.
Founded by Marie Mitchell and Jospeh Pilgrim, the venue will host their individual and joint projects and be a hub for exploring the Caribbean culture.
Marie’s menu will be inspired by previous projects Rumshop and Rotishop and Joseph will be running his popular rum bar.
The venue will cater for up to 35 people with an outside space during the summer. There will also be live music, exhibitions, talks, poetry readings and other cultural events.
You may also want to watch:
“We feel our experience is distinct from anything we’ve experienced on the British high street,” said Joseph. “We want Island Social Club to become an establishment that is a clear representation of our modern London lives but also a space to explore and share our brilliant Caribbean heritage, from island culture to contemporary Black British culture.”
It will launch on February 15. For more click here.
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 3 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 4 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 5 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 6 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 9 What A Wonderful World: Hackney Choirs sing for climate action ahead of COP26
- 10 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?