It’s ‘peeback’ time: Hackney Council trials walls that ‘wee’
- Credit: Archant
Hackney Council has introduced walls that ‘wee’ to combat the problem of street urination.
Anyone who uses certain walls in Dalston and Shoreditch which are coated in a special paint as a toilet, will see their urine bounce off, covering their shoes and trousers.
The anti-urine coating which creates a barrier repelling liquid is being trialled during the busy Christmas and New Year party season.
It also stops urine soaking into the wall – reducing stains and smells.
Hackney Council spends £100,000 every year washing urine off walls and pavements.
You may also want to watch:
The ‘peeback’ wall is part of a strategy tackling the problem, which will also see more public toilets and enforcement.
The council has fined more than 500 people for public urination in 2015 – three times up from last year.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 5 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
Cllr Feryal Demirci, cabinet member for neighbourhoods and environment, said: “No-one wants someone weeing on their own doorstep, yet some people continue to do it on the doorsteps of our residents and businesses.
“If the prospect of a fine doesn’t put them off from weeing in the street, maybe the risk of getting covered in urine will.”
There are two sets of public toilets in Dalston at Ridley Road Market and Dalston Passage which are open 24 hours a day and temporary urinals at New Inn Yard, Gillett Square and Anning Street at weekends.