Spurs activate option to extend Jan’s deal until the summer of 2020
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The former Ajax centre back would have been out of contract at the end of this season
Spurs have activated the option in Jan Vertonghen’s contract to keep the Belgian at the club until the end of the 2019/20 campaign.
The experienced defender’s current terms with Tottenham Hotspur were due to expire at the end of this season.
However, the club have exercised the option in his contract to keep him in N17 for at least another year, although talks will no doubt take place about extending it further given his form in recent times.
A statement on the Tottenham Hotspur website read: “The club can confirm that we have activated the option to extend Jan Vertonghen’s contract until 2020.
You may also want to watch:
“The Belgium international has made 264 appearances for the club since joining from Ajax in 2012.
He was rewarded for his fine form last season with a place in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year and the One Hotspur members’ Player of the Season award.”
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses