Spurs activate option to extend Jan’s deal until the summer of 2020
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The former Ajax centre back would have been out of contract at the end of this season
Spurs have activated the option in Jan Vertonghen’s contract to keep the Belgian at the club until the end of the 2019/20 campaign.
The experienced defender’s current terms with Tottenham Hotspur were due to expire at the end of this season.
However, the club have exercised the option in his contract to keep him in N17 for at least another year, although talks will no doubt take place about extending it further given his form in recent times.
A statement on the Tottenham Hotspur website read: “The club can confirm that we have activated the option to extend Jan Vertonghen’s contract until 2020.
You may also want to watch:
“The Belgium international has made 264 appearances for the club since joining from Ajax in 2012.
He was rewarded for his fine form last season with a place in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year and the One Hotspur members’ Player of the Season award.”
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 8 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 9 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust