Spurs activate option to extend Jan’s deal until the summer of 2020
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The former Ajax centre back would have been out of contract at the end of this season
Spurs have activated the option in Jan Vertonghen’s contract to keep the Belgian at the club until the end of the 2019/20 campaign.
The experienced defender’s current terms with Tottenham Hotspur were due to expire at the end of this season.
However, the club have exercised the option in his contract to keep him in N17 for at least another year, although talks will no doubt take place about extending it further given his form in recent times.
A statement on the Tottenham Hotspur website read: “The club can confirm that we have activated the option to extend Jan Vertonghen’s contract until 2020.
“The Belgium international has made 264 appearances for the club since joining from Ajax in 2012.
He was rewarded for his fine form last season with a place in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year and the One Hotspur members’ Player of the Season award.”
- 1 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 2 'Catastrophic consequences': Thousands of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'
- 5 Dalston food couriers protest will disrupt deliveries this afternoon
- 6 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
- 7 Library of Things opens in Dalston: Steam cleaners, tools and more for rent
- 8 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 9 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 10 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park