Spurs activate option to extend Jan’s deal until the summer of 2020
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The former Ajax centre back would have been out of contract at the end of this season
Spurs have activated the option in Jan Vertonghen’s contract to keep the Belgian at the club until the end of the 2019/20 campaign.
The experienced defender’s current terms with Tottenham Hotspur were due to expire at the end of this season.
However, the club have exercised the option in his contract to keep him in N17 for at least another year, although talks will no doubt take place about extending it further given his form in recent times.
A statement on the Tottenham Hotspur website read: “The club can confirm that we have activated the option to extend Jan Vertonghen’s contract until 2020.
You may also want to watch:
“The Belgium international has made 264 appearances for the club since joining from Ajax in 2012.
He was rewarded for his fine form last season with a place in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year and the One Hotspur members’ Player of the Season award.”
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney