Jay-Z confirmed to headline Radio 1’s Hackney Weekend 2012
American hip-hop superstar Jay-Z will be headlining Radio 1’s Hackney Weekend, the live festival on Hackney Marshes this summer which is set to rival Glastonbury.
Announced this morning on the Chris Moyles Show, he is set to perform alongside a stellar line-up of acts already announced including Tine Tempah, Jessie J, Ed Sheeran, Florence and the Machine, Professor Green, Leona Lewis, DJ Fresh, Plan B, Flo Rida and Will.i.am.
The biggest ever free-ticketed event organised by Radio 1, there are 100,000 tickets up for grabs and priority is given to Hackney residents and those living in the Olympic host boroughs.
In the coming weeks, another international superstar will be announced to headline the event on Sunday June 24.
The weekend will feature over 100 UK and international artists performing on six stages, including the Radio 1 Main Stage, Radio 1Xtra Arena, Dance Arena, In New Music We Trust Stage and the BBC Introducing Stage.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets are free, but there will be a fee of �2.50 per ticket to cover ticket handling and administration costs.
To register your details and upload a photo go to bbc.co.uk/radio1 before 11pm Monday March 19.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
For those registered, there will be two opportunities to apply for a ticket - 11am on Sunday March 25 and 4pm on Monday March 26, online or by phone.
Most tickets will be reserved for people from Hackney and the other five Olympic boroughs, with allocation on a first-come, first-served basis.