Jermain Jackman and Channel 4’s Run team launch Hackney Cut Films comp
- Credit: Archant
Young people enjoyed an alcohol-free Champagne-style reception and brushed shoulders with Hackney’s singing superstar Jermain Jackman and the producers of Channel 4 drama Run, at a special Hollywood themed reception to launch an anti-smoking film competition.
This is the third year that Cut Films is asking pupils in Hackney to submit two-minute movies to persuade their friends not to take up smoking.
Organised by peer-to-peer youth smoking prevention charity The Deborah Hutton Campaign, the idea is to educate young people about the dangers of smoking in a creative way, and was set up in memory of the former Vogue health editor who died of lung cancer aged 49, having smoked regularly during her youth.
The production team behind Run, who met at secondary school, shared their film-making tips with pupils from Hackney New School, Hackney Community College, The Petchey Academy and BSix Sixth Form College who were in the audience at Hoxton Hall.
They discussed how they persevered, despite early setbacks to become the award-winning team they are today.
You may also want to watch:
The Voice contestant Jackman spoke about how he always aspired to be a singer and politician, and encouraged the students and young people to follow their dreams and focus on being good at one thing rather than trying to be a “Jack of all trades”.
TThe closing date for film entries is May 2, for more details see cutfilms.org/hackneycutfilms.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared