Join in the fun at your local library in Hackney
Events put on to highlight the wealth of services available to residents.
LIBRARIES across the borough flung open their doors for all as a series of special Christmas events took place.
Hackney Central library was the location for smiles and fun during the Life Winter Fayre on Saturday December 4.
Father Christmas was on hand to give out presents while youngsters had the chance to try and make Scrooge smile for a prize as families from across the borough joined in the fun.
Head massages, jewellery making, live music and food were all on offer to those in attendance as Hackney Council sought to encourage more people to get down to their nearest library and discover what is on offer.
Hackney Council’s Cabinet Member for Community Services, Cllr Jonathan McShane said: “The Council wants to encourage more people to join and use Hackney libraries. There is a lot on offer from borrowing books and using the internet to reading groups and activities in the school holidays.
“We are holding a series of open days so you can talk to library staff about your local library. Come along, you might be surprised at what happens in your local library.”
- 1 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 2 Formula E driver looks forward to upcoming London E-Prix
- 3 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 4 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 5 'Experiment that's working': Audience votes dictate storyline of 'unique' Hoxton play
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 'Time for change': Hackney Mayor on re-election plans
- 8 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
- 9 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 10 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
There are currently eight libraries in Hackney which hold over 250,000 books, 57,000 DVDs and CDs and play host to 150 computers with free internet access.
For more information about events at libraires in Hackney and what is on offer visit www.hackney.gov.uk/libraries or call 020 8356 3000.