Jonny Woo’s pub The Glory to stage drag queen lip syncing comp
- Credit: Archant
Rodent Decay, Oozing Gloop and Smiley Vyrus are just some of the fabulous faux femmes out to dazzle with their ability to mouth lyrics to pop tunes in a bid to win a £1,000 prize in Lipsync 1000.
Billed as the “juggernaut, dragship” contest, it takes place in The Glory, the pub in Kingsland Road.
The competition was set up by fellow cross dressers Jonny Woo and John Sizzle, who will hold court as “Mistress of Ceremonies”.
Set across eight heats taking place every Wednesday starting next week – when the Gazette will be on the team of judges – bright young (and not so young) cross-dressers will lip-sync their way through a song or mash-up of their choice, trying to win a place in the final.
The winner will join the drag crew onstage at Glastonbury’s gay club The NYC Downlow.
You may also want to watch:
Originally called “Tranny Lip-Synching”, the concept was launched in 2005 by Jonny Woo at the French restaurant Bistroteque.
The drag show is free to enter and free for punters to watch at the pub.
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 4 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 5 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 8 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 9 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 10 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
People who want to enter are encouraged to get in touch with the organisers by e-mailing email@example.com.