Jonny Woo’s pub The Glory to stage drag queen lip syncing comp
- Credit: Archant
Rodent Decay, Oozing Gloop and Smiley Vyrus are just some of the fabulous faux femmes out to dazzle with their ability to mouth lyrics to pop tunes in a bid to win a £1,000 prize in Lipsync 1000.
Billed as the “juggernaut, dragship” contest, it takes place in The Glory, the pub in Kingsland Road.
The competition was set up by fellow cross dressers Jonny Woo and John Sizzle, who will hold court as “Mistress of Ceremonies”.
Set across eight heats taking place every Wednesday starting next week – when the Gazette will be on the team of judges – bright young (and not so young) cross-dressers will lip-sync their way through a song or mash-up of their choice, trying to win a place in the final.
The winner will join the drag crew onstage at Glastonbury’s gay club The NYC Downlow.
Originally called “Tranny Lip-Synching”, the concept was launched in 2005 by Jonny Woo at the French restaurant Bistroteque.
The drag show is free to enter and free for punters to watch at the pub.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 3 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 4 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 7 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 8 Police launch probe into Stamford Hill flat blaze
- 9 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
People who want to enter are encouraged to get in touch with the organisers by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.