Jonny Woo’s pub The Glory to stage drag queen lip syncing comp
- Credit: Archant
Rodent Decay, Oozing Gloop and Smiley Vyrus are just some of the fabulous faux femmes out to dazzle with their ability to mouth lyrics to pop tunes in a bid to win a £1,000 prize in Lipsync 1000.
Billed as the “juggernaut, dragship” contest, it takes place in The Glory, the pub in Kingsland Road.
The competition was set up by fellow cross dressers Jonny Woo and John Sizzle, who will hold court as “Mistress of Ceremonies”.
Set across eight heats taking place every Wednesday starting next week – when the Gazette will be on the team of judges – bright young (and not so young) cross-dressers will lip-sync their way through a song or mash-up of their choice, trying to win a place in the final.
The winner will join the drag crew onstage at Glastonbury’s gay club The NYC Downlow.
You may also want to watch:
Originally called “Tranny Lip-Synching”, the concept was launched in 2005 by Jonny Woo at the French restaurant Bistroteque.
The drag show is free to enter and free for punters to watch at the pub.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Shoreditch man convicted of enslaving 13-year-old to sell drugs
- 10 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
People who want to enter are encouraged to get in touch with the organisers by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.