Jonny Woo’s pub The Glory to stage drag queen lip syncing comp
- Credit: Archant
Rodent Decay, Oozing Gloop and Smiley Vyrus are just some of the fabulous faux femmes out to dazzle with their ability to mouth lyrics to pop tunes in a bid to win a £1,000 prize in Lipsync 1000.
Billed as the “juggernaut, dragship” contest, it takes place in The Glory, the pub in Kingsland Road.
The competition was set up by fellow cross dressers Jonny Woo and John Sizzle, who will hold court as “Mistress of Ceremonies”.
Set across eight heats taking place every Wednesday starting next week – when the Gazette will be on the team of judges – bright young (and not so young) cross-dressers will lip-sync their way through a song or mash-up of their choice, trying to win a place in the final.
The winner will join the drag crew onstage at Glastonbury’s gay club The NYC Downlow.
You may also want to watch:
Originally called “Tranny Lip-Synching”, the concept was launched in 2005 by Jonny Woo at the French restaurant Bistroteque.
The drag show is free to enter and free for punters to watch at the pub.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
People who want to enter are encouraged to get in touch with the organisers by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.