Spurs defenders set to do battle in Copa America
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Juan Foyth and Davinson Sanchez are in Brazil for the Copa America
While most Tottenham Hotspur players are on holiday, for two younger members of the squad they are preparing to feature in one of the biggest tournaments on the international stage and they will play each other first up.
The 2019 Copa America gets underway tonight (Friday) in Brazil and Davinson Sanchez and Juan Foyth are there with their respective countries.
Foyth is part of the Argentina squad and Sanchez involved with Colombia and Saturday evening they will do battle in Group B.
Paraguay and Qatar are also in the group, but the first fixture will see the two big South America countries go head-to-head.
You may also want to watch:
Argentina and Colombia will play at 11pm and Sanchez and Foyth will hope they can be included in the team from the start.
Before these two talented young defenders do battle, another member of the Spurs back line contingent will be involved in an international match.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
Ivory Coast captain and Tottenham right-back Serge Aurier is expected to start for his nation in a home friendly against Uganda this evening.
Once that match is compete, the former Paris Saint-Germain defender will turn his focus to the Africa Cup of Nations.
The tournament in Egypt gets underway on Friday, June 21 and Aurier's Ivory Coast are in Group D and begin the competition on Monday, June 24 against South Africa.
Victor Wanyama, who will captain Kenya, will play his first Africa Cup of Nations game this summer on Sunday, June 23 against Algeria in Group C.
Back in April, the Spurs midfielder was quizzed about the tournament and insisted it will be a great experience for the Harambee Stars.
Wanyama said: "I think it is a great achievement for me to be able to lead my team to the African Cup of Nations this year. We just want to go there and enjoy ourselves and give the best performance we can give.
"It is a very tough group and there is no one to underestimate because when you make it through to the African Cup of Nations you have to be a good team. Hopefully we can work hard and get through."