Foyth helps Argentina clinch third spot at Copa America
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The central defender played the full 90 minutes in the 2-1 win over Chile and Serge Aurier will be in action tonight
Juan Foyth played his part in an action-packed third-place game for Argentina against Chile at the Copa America on Saturday.
The young defender, who has caught the eye at right-back for La Albiceleste, started his fourth game in a row in Brazil.
Foyth was named in Lionel Scaloni's side and Argentina made a wonderful start to the contest and were two goals ahead by the 22nd minute through Sergio Aguero and Paulo Dybala.
Everything kicked off quarter of an hour later when Lionel Messi and Gary Medel clashed and the result was both being shown red cards.
You may also want to watch:
Arturo Vidal pulled one back for Chile just before the hour mark, but Foyth, who picked up a yellow card, helped Argentina hold on to clinch a 2-1 win and third spot.
It ended a wonderful individual tournament for Tottenham Hotspur's 21-year-old and he will now enjoy a well-earned rest for a couple of weeks before returning to Spurs' Enfield training ground later this month.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
Fellow club colleague Serge Aurier is expected to feature for Ivory Coast tonight in the Africa Cup of Nations round of 16 tie with Mali.
The right-back suffered an injury in the Group D loss to Morocco and as a result sat out the 4-1 win over Namibia which Ivory Coast needed to reach the knock-out phase.
Aurier has had almost two weeks to recover from his hamstring issue and is expected to lead out his country in Suez.
If Ivory Coast triumph, they will set up a last-eight clash with Algeria at the same venue in three days time.
Meanwhile, several Tottenham players returned to Hotspur Way today for the start of pre-season training.
The likes of Harry Winks, Eric Dier, Ben Davies, Kyle Walker-Peters, Kieran Trippier, Erik Lamela and Lucas Moura were all present in a video posted by the club.