Kat B attends award ceremony for Hackney’s community heroes
- Credit: Archant
A 98-year old volunteer was awarded for running an over-50s club at a ceremony celebrating local community heroes in Hackney.
Cissy Brine was given the special accolade at the glamorous event organised by Sanctuary Housing in Chat’s Palace, Homerton, where Kat B who played Puss in Boots at this year’s Hackney Empire pantomime gave a comedy performance.
Ms Brine runs the weekly bingo and social club was one of eight community volunteers who walked away with trophies last week, each one presented by a different community leader.
Kieron Hart, 15, was presented with the young volunteer award by Tony Gouveia, associate director for Immediate Theatre, for his positive and active contribution to the Morningside Youth Club which he joined aged eight.
Lama Ali Details was awarded for being a good neighbour, Lloyd Boateng got the contribution to sport award for running Born 4 Sport, David Rees was recognised as a green hero for running the ecoACTIVE gardening project at at Daubeney Fields Park.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile Josephine Bediako was recognised for outstanding achievement award, Ron Newman was awarded for his community spirit for arranging a day for disabled people, and the Morningside Youth Club was recognised for meeting the needs of the community by providing a safe environment for young people to spend their free time.
Meghan Zinkewich-Peotti, from Sanctuary housing association said: “Rewarding volunteering and celebrating with people who are willing to share their talents with others is a central part to building strong and happy neighbourhoods.”
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared