Kids can run a half marathon for Run Hackney too
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters are being encouraged to live an active lifestyle as they run a mile each week in time to complete the thirteenth at the inaugural Run Hackney half marathon this summer.
Primary pupils who sign up to the schools challenge will cover 12.1 miles prior to race day, before running the final mile on Sunday June 22, in front of thousands of anticipated spectators.
Grasmere School in Albion Road, Stoke Newington, has already signed up to the challenge which begins on April 1.
Roads in the borough will be shut on June 22, and the route for adults leaves from Hackney Marshes at 9am, where it also ends before passing the Hackney Empire, Broadway Market, London Fields and the Olympic Park.
Youngsters will start at the same starting point as everyone else but 15 minutes later and complete a mile loop.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Jonathan McShane came up with the idea for Run Hackney to celebrate and promote the borough, encouraging physical activity at the same time.
“I have run a number of Marathons and Half Marathons and I always thought it would be great to bring a Half Marathon to Hackney,” he said.
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
“Hopefully we’ve started something here today that will continue to inspire children for years to come, and maybe some of these kids from Grasmere Primary will run the full race when they are older.”
Entry for kids costs £10 and they are encouraged to raise money for CLIC Sargent.