King’s Cross firm hosts art exhibition for Holloway charity
- Credit: Archant
An exhibition of art created by people with learning disabilities went so well that the storage company who hosted it has decided to make a permanent display.
Attic Self Storage in York Way, King’s Cross, was looking for a local charity to back and decided to showcase the work by artists of Artbox London, based in Holloway’s Islington Arts Factory.
Attic director Frederic de Ryckman said his mind was made up as soon as he saw the work of the charity, which was founded in 2011 by Madeline Alterman.
“When we visited Artbox at the Islington Arts Factory, we were hooked” he said. “Meeting Madeline and the artists was inspiring.
“We’re only a small business, so our support has to be focused – and we felt in Artbox, we had really found a worthwhile cause.”
Following last week’s exhibition, there are now 50 pieces of art on permanent display in the Attic reception, pieces which would otherwise have been in storage at the arts factory.
“The evening was a huge success” said Madeline. “The artists just loved seeing their work on display.
- 1 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 4 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 5 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 6 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 7 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 8 Hackney man wanted by Surrey Police
- 9 Jailed: Hackney man sentenced for fatal hit-and-run
- 10 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
“We also sold quite a number of pieces, which really made everyone’s day.”
Attic Self Storage has already agreed to host another event for Artbox London.
In the meantime, anyone can check out the work at Attic. Visit atticstorage.co.uk and artboxlondon.org for more.