Kingsland Road gas explosion fire leaves man in hospital
- Credit: Archant
A gas explosion outside a block of homes in Kingsland Road caused a blaze that left one man in hospital.
Fire crews were called at 11.39am on Saturday to reports of a “fractured gas main” not far from St Leonard’s Hospital.
One man was treated by medics and taken to hospital and four others were evacuated from their homes as a precaution.
The fire was eventually brought under control by 5.45pm.
Witness Rashaad Subratie said the fire was huge and dozens of people stopped to watch on as firefighters tackled it.
You may also want to watch:
“There was lots of smoke and remnants of your typical gas smell too,” he told the Gazette.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school