Kingsland Road murder: Man, 26, stabbed after ‘row in bar spilled onto street’ following night out in Shoreditch
- Credit: Emma Bartholomew
The man who was fatally stabbed to death in Kingsland Road may have been killed after a row in a bar spilled out onto the street, police say.
The victim, aged 26, was attacked between 6.13am and 6.30am on Saturday morning following a night out, and it is believed he had been in the Rolling Stock bar.
Police and medics were called to the scene, at the junction with Waterson Street, at 6.30am. The air ambulance was also sent.
The victim was taken to hospital in critical condition but died hours later.
Det Insp Rita Tierney, who is leading the investigation, is keen to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time.
You may also want to watch:
“One line of enquiry is that there may have been a dispute or altercation that has taken place inside the bar between the victim and two or more other men,” she said.
“As the bar closed, this dispute may have spilled out onto the streets with fatal consequences.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
“Were you at the Rolling Stock Bar early on Saturday morning? Perhaps you were passing by the area by car or walking home. Did you see anything suspicious?
“This area has a busy bar and nightlife scene and people would have been in and around the area.”
On Saturday the junction of Kingsland Road with Old Street was taped off, as well as further up the road at the junction with Waterson Street.
Later in the day forensic teams were searching the former Shoreditch Library further up the road still, which is now a block of flats.
The man’s next of kin have been informed but formal identification awaits.
A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.
The murder squad is investigating along with police in Hackney.
Police have upped their presence in the popular and busy area, and neighbourhood officers have been carrying out high visibility patrols to speak with locals about any concerns they have.
Anyone with information is requested to call police on 020 8345 3865 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.