Kingsland Road murder: Man, 26, stabbed after ‘row in bar spilled onto street’ following night out in Shoreditch
- Credit: Emma Bartholomew
The man who was fatally stabbed to death in Kingsland Road may have been killed after a row in a bar spilled out onto the street, police say.
The victim, aged 26, was attacked between 6.13am and 6.30am on Saturday morning following a night out, and it is believed he had been in the Rolling Stock bar.
Police and medics were called to the scene, at the junction with Waterson Street, at 6.30am. The air ambulance was also sent.
The victim was taken to hospital in critical condition but died hours later.
Det Insp Rita Tierney, who is leading the investigation, is keen to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time.
“One line of enquiry is that there may have been a dispute or altercation that has taken place inside the bar between the victim and two or more other men,” she said.
“As the bar closed, this dispute may have spilled out onto the streets with fatal consequences.
- 1 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 2 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 3 Police launch probe into Stamford Hill flat blaze
- 4 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 6 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 7 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 8 Police search for witness who helped rape victim
- 9 Met defends Israeli police visit to Hackney
- 10 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
“Were you at the Rolling Stock Bar early on Saturday morning? Perhaps you were passing by the area by car or walking home. Did you see anything suspicious?
“This area has a busy bar and nightlife scene and people would have been in and around the area.”
On Saturday the junction of Kingsland Road with Old Street was taped off, as well as further up the road at the junction with Waterson Street.
Later in the day forensic teams were searching the former Shoreditch Library further up the road still, which is now a block of flats.
The man’s next of kin have been informed but formal identification awaits.
A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.
The murder squad is investigating along with police in Hackney.
Police have upped their presence in the popular and busy area, and neighbourhood officers have been carrying out high visibility patrols to speak with locals about any concerns they have.
Anyone with information is requested to call police on 020 8345 3865 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.