Labour announces candidates for Hackney Council by-elections
PUBLISHED: 10:09 07 April 2016 | UPDATED: 10:14 07 April 2016
Hackney Labour Party has announced its candidates to run for the vacant seats in the council by-election next month.
Sem Moema has been put forward for the Hackney Downs ward seat, with Patrick Moule contesting the Stoke Newington seat.
A Labour spokesman said: “Sem has worked for a large housing association for over four years.
“Before that, she worked in the youth sector and in international development. She served as a councillor in Hackney Downs ward from 2006–10.
“She will prioritise housing and regeneration and on the council she will fight the Tory housing bill and work to support Hackney providing more affordable homes.”
On Mr Moule, he added: “Patrick is a National Organiser for a trade union. He was recently vice chair of Hackney North Labour Party in charge of campaigning.
“Patrick cares passionately about education and is committed to ensuring that Hackney gives young people the best possible start in life.”
The by-elections will take place on May 5 and follow the resignations of two councillors on the same day last month.
Rick Muir left his Hackney Downs seat saying he was moving out of London after being priced out of buying a house in the borough.
Stoke Newington Central ward councillor Louisa Thomson left for personal reasons.
Hackney’s Mayor Jules Pipe said he was delighted at the choice of candidates.
He said: “They will be a great addition to the Labour team on the council, to help us make sure that, despite Conservative government cuts, we keep our commitment to providing the best possible services of any local authority.”
Nominees for other parties have until 4pm today to deliver their papers.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.