Lack of funds leaves Hackney Wick festival cancelled
- Credit: Archant
The annual Hackney WickED festival which has been running since 2009 has been cancelled this year because of a lack of funding.
Organisers announced that the three-day festival, normally held in August, will “not go ahead in its full glory for 2015” because of “ever-increasing’ production costs”.
In a statement, the organisers said: “Although the free-natured [sic] spirited, spontaneity and self-expression of the festival will be missed, it is time for the organisation to re-evaluate and adapt to the changing nature of Hackney Wick.”
Instead they are planning to curate a programme of smaller events instead.
Organisers have also been given Arts Council funding to carry out research and get feedback on how much people benefitted from the festival, which promotes local and burgeoning talent.
You may also want to watch:
Arts Council England, Crate Brewery, Here East and other sponsors donated £70,000 in funding last year for the festival which attracted 35,000 visitors.
To have your say see www.surveymonkey.com/s/HWvisitorsurvey.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year