Lack of funds leaves Hackney Wick festival cancelled
- Credit: Archant
The annual Hackney WickED festival which has been running since 2009 has been cancelled this year because of a lack of funding.
Organisers announced that the three-day festival, normally held in August, will “not go ahead in its full glory for 2015” because of “ever-increasing’ production costs”.
In a statement, the organisers said: “Although the free-natured [sic] spirited, spontaneity and self-expression of the festival will be missed, it is time for the organisation to re-evaluate and adapt to the changing nature of Hackney Wick.”
Instead they are planning to curate a programme of smaller events instead.
Organisers have also been given Arts Council funding to carry out research and get feedback on how much people benefitted from the festival, which promotes local and burgeoning talent.
You may also want to watch:
Arts Council England, Crate Brewery, Here East and other sponsors donated £70,000 in funding last year for the festival which attracted 35,000 visitors.
To have your say see www.surveymonkey.com/s/HWvisitorsurvey.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'