Last chance for Hackney residents to register to vote
Nearly 15,000 households in Hackney have not returned their voter registration forms, and time is running out if they want to vote this May.
Forms must be returned by Monday February 17, or residents will not be able to vote in European, Local and Hackney Mayoral elections on Thursday May 22.
Returning the forms could also help people to get credit or utilities from companies which use the electoral register to check address details and eligibility.
So far 86 per cent of Hackney households have returned their forms, which were sent to every home in the borough in October.
Tim Shields, the council’s electoral registration officer, said: “Many people simply may not realise that they have to register to vote each year and that if they do not send the form back, they can’t vote.”
You may also want to watch:
“If people still have their forms lying around I’d encourage them to reply to us as soon as possible, it’s easy to confirm online or by text, it helps with your credit rating and it ensures that you get a voice at the ballot box this May.”
For more information see www.hackney.gov.uk/annual-canvass or call 020 8356 3232.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12