Last chance for Hackney residents to register to vote
Nearly 15,000 households in Hackney have not returned their voter registration forms, and time is running out if they want to vote this May.
Forms must be returned by Monday February 17, or residents will not be able to vote in European, Local and Hackney Mayoral elections on Thursday May 22.
Returning the forms could also help people to get credit or utilities from companies which use the electoral register to check address details and eligibility.
So far 86 per cent of Hackney households have returned their forms, which were sent to every home in the borough in October.
Tim Shields, the council’s electoral registration officer, said: “Many people simply may not realise that they have to register to vote each year and that if they do not send the form back, they can’t vote.”
You may also want to watch:
“If people still have their forms lying around I’d encourage them to reply to us as soon as possible, it’s easy to confirm online or by text, it helps with your credit rating and it ensures that you get a voice at the ballot box this May.”
For more information see www.hackney.gov.uk/annual-canvass or call 020 8356 3232.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 4 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 5 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 6 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared