Last chance for Hackney residents to register to vote
Nearly 15,000 households in Hackney have not returned their voter registration forms, and time is running out if they want to vote this May.
Forms must be returned by Monday February 17, or residents will not be able to vote in European, Local and Hackney Mayoral elections on Thursday May 22.
Returning the forms could also help people to get credit or utilities from companies which use the electoral register to check address details and eligibility.
So far 86 per cent of Hackney households have returned their forms, which were sent to every home in the borough in October.
Tim Shields, the council’s electoral registration officer, said: “Many people simply may not realise that they have to register to vote each year and that if they do not send the form back, they can’t vote.”
You may also want to watch:
“If people still have their forms lying around I’d encourage them to reply to us as soon as possible, it’s easy to confirm online or by text, it helps with your credit rating and it ensures that you get a voice at the ballot box this May.”
For more information see www.hackney.gov.uk/annual-canvass or call 020 8356 3232.
- 1 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 4 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 5 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 6 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 7 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Man who punched pregnant woman in Stamford Hill convicted
- 10 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site