Last Days of Shoreditch street food market facing battle to reopen
- Credit: Archant
“London’s original street food market” in Shoreditch faces a battle to reopen after Hackney’s public health chief said there was enough booze spots in the area.
The Last Days of Shoreditch, previously Night Tales, has been run in a site off Old Street since 2014, but the licence expired at the end of December.
A new application to reopen this year for eight months has now been lodged, but council officers have opposed it. The location falls inside the Shoreditch special policy area (SPA) where new licences are only granted in “exceptional circumstances”.
The licensing department have taken issue with the apparent alcohol-led nature of the market, which is a “significant departure” from the original street food focus four years ago.
On top of that, the public health team say the area already has high incidences of crime and violence. In 2017 there were 496 alcohol related incidents, 217 of which were assaults.
You may also want to watch:
Penny Bevan, director of public health, concluded: “The applicant has not proposed suitable measures which would promote the
licensing objectives, nor mitigate against negative impact.”
- 1 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 5 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 6 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 9 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
A decision will be made by councillors on Tuesday next week.