Late-night fire in Hoxton cafe forces 20 to flee the flames
- Credit: Archant
Flames tear through basement of building forcing evacuation
A late-night fire in a cafe forced 20 people to flee the building.
The blaze ripped through the basement of the establishment, in Pitfield Street, Hoxton, at about 2.30am on Saturday morning.
About 20 people managed escape from the premises, which had flats above it, before London Fire Brigade turned up.
Four fire engines and around 20 fire fighters from Shoreditch, Dowgate, Whitechapel and Bethnal Green tackled the blaze and had the situation under control just before 4am.
No one was injured, but the basement was partly damaged by fire.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- 1 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 2 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 3 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 4 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 5 Queen's Birthday Honours: Hackney man's vital vaccine work honoured
- 6 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 7 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 8 Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- 9 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney flat block damaged as 25 firefighters respond to barbecue blaze