Late-night shopping event hopes to encourage Stoke Newington people to buy locally
- Credit: Archant
Independent traders in Stoke Newington are putting on a late-night Christmas shopping event next week in an effort to encourage people to go local.
A Christmas Night in Stokey, run by discount members’ group the Local Buyers Club alongside traders, will see businesses around Church Street stay open until 8pm on Thursday.
There will be choirs, Santa’s grotto, a fire engine for children to play in, live music and a raffle supporting local charities Crisis, the Winter Toy & Food Appeal, and Solace.
Basil Fansa, co-founder of the Local Buyers Club, said: “Forget big high street chains – here is a chance for an authentic London shopping experience at independent shops which are brimming with character and full of unique gifts, many of which have been made or designed by local artists.”
Among the traders taking part are Earlybird Cards, Beaucatcher, Hub, Location Location, Kitchen Provisions, Ooh Lou Lou, The Last Crumb, Metal Crumble, Ryans Bar, The Prince, Nook, The Design Store, Pictures and Light, The Twisted Fork, The Good Egg and Askew Eyewear.
You may also want to watch:
For more information visit christmasinstokey.com.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12