Late-night shopping event hopes to encourage Stoke Newington people to buy locally
- Credit: Archant
Independent traders in Stoke Newington are putting on a late-night Christmas shopping event next week in an effort to encourage people to go local.
A Christmas Night in Stokey, run by discount members’ group the Local Buyers Club alongside traders, will see businesses around Church Street stay open until 8pm on Thursday.
There will be choirs, Santa’s grotto, a fire engine for children to play in, live music and a raffle supporting local charities Crisis, the Winter Toy & Food Appeal, and Solace.
Basil Fansa, co-founder of the Local Buyers Club, said: “Forget big high street chains – here is a chance for an authentic London shopping experience at independent shops which are brimming with character and full of unique gifts, many of which have been made or designed by local artists.”
Among the traders taking part are Earlybird Cards, Beaucatcher, Hub, Location Location, Kitchen Provisions, Ooh Lou Lou, The Last Crumb, Metal Crumble, Ryans Bar, The Prince, Nook, The Design Store, Pictures and Light, The Twisted Fork, The Good Egg and Askew Eyewear.
For more information visit christmasinstokey.com.
- 1 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 2 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 3 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 4 Mother of son lost to knife crime honoured by the Queen
- 5 De Beauvoir to house UK's first East and South-East Asian resource centre
- 6 UK's 'home of baking' to open third venue in Haggerston
- 7 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 8 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment
- 9 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 10 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers