Lauren Pickett helps Spurs Ladies tame Millwall Lionesses’
- Credit: Archant
Pre-season friendly: Millwall Lionesses 1 Tottenham Hotspur Ladies 2
Spurs Ladies closed their pre-season with a 2-1 win over Millwall Lionesses last weekend in their final game before they kick-off the new FA Women’s Super League 2 campaign later this month.
The early action saw Renee Hector flick on Jenna Schillaci’s floated corner towards Lucia Leon, but her volley was blocked by Billie Brooks.
Ashlee Hincks then countered for Millwall and played in Ella Rutherford, but Chloe Morgan smothered the danger.
Tottenham responded with Bianca Baptiste firing an effort just wide of the right post, prior to Sarah Quantrill catching Ashleigh Neville’s hooked volley.
You may also want to watch:
Wendy Martin then popped-off towards Baptiste, who narrowly hit across the face of goal from distance.
Millwall showed their threat, however, when Hincks’ floated free-kick saw Brooks head at Morgan from inside six-yards.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
Sophie Mclean shimmied in the middle before her delightful pass sent Baptiste away, who cut inside firing just past the left post.
Hector burst out from the back next and curled an outside-of-the-boot pass towards Martin, but she could only curl wide of the top right.
Neville, Martin and Sarah Wiltshire then combined intricately down the left, with the former forcing Quantrill into a near-post stop.
After the restart. Baptiste cut inside off the right crossing towards Martin, who saw her directed header back across the goal cleared by Viki Wotton.
Haines’ one-two with Wiltshire then saw her through, but Quantrill pushed the volley onto the post before Martin fired over the rebound.
More opportunities were wasted after, as Millwall’s Rutherford broke away playing across to Hincks, whose strike on the edge was blocked by Neville and Megan Wynne curled into the arms of Morgan.
Georgina Giddings then inadvertently directed Baptiste’s cross towards her own goal which Quantrill palmed away.
Josie Green’s inside left free-kick dropped to Hector soon after and her header was acrobatically volleyed by Baptiste, forcing Quantrill to palm round the post.
The breakthrough came from the resulting set-piece with Baptiste’s corner headed home by Hannah Mackenzie at the back-post on 76.
It was double trouble for The Lionesses a minute later as Ronnell Humes’ low cross picked out Lauren Pickett at the far-post to slide home.
Megan Alexander’s free-kick on the edge from the right looped and dropped into the far corner for a late Millwall consolation two minutes from time, but it was too little, too late for the hosts.