Lip sync dance battle at Gracepoint theatre will raise funds for children affected by cancer to attend Hackney theatre school
- Credit: Michael Bourke
Adults who have never before taken to the stage in their lives, will perform in a lip sync choreographed dance battle tonight, to raise money for children affected by cancer to attend theatre school themselves.
Anna Fiorentini wants to fund bursaries for children who might have cancer themselves, or whose parents are afflicted, to attend her Theatre and Film School at Clapton Girls’ Academy.
She was inspired after her close friend Henry Cumming died of cancer last year.
Anna told the Gazette: “I promised Henry that I would give one child a year affected by cancer a free place in his name.
“That I’m giving anyway out of “my pocket” as it were. But it did inspire me to raise more for other kids in the same situation.
“It was so sad seeing Henry in his last few months and I was feeling so helpless. Hence I offered the one thing I was able to - a legacy in his name.”
The 20 adults she has gathered have had six hours of tuition over the past three weeks to nail a choreographed routine for the lip sync dance battle.
- 1 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 2 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 3 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 4 Loyal customers given shares in new craft beer company
- 5 Operation Mincemeat: Role of Hackney mortuary marked in Colin Firth film
- 6 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 7 Mother of son lost to knife crime honoured by the Queen
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 10 De Beauvoir to house UK's first East and South-East Asian resource centre
Tonight they will perform them to tunes from the 60s, 70s and 80s at the converted art deco cinema Gracepoint, in Essex Road, Islington.
Tickets for the show which starts at 7.30pm cost £15. See www.stageandthecity.com/charity-extravaganza/.