Abbott to vye for Shadow Cabinet
Diane Abbott has confirmed that she will be throwing her hat into the ring for a post in new leader Ed Milliband’s Shadow Cabinet.
Ms Abbott told the Gazette this afternoon: “I will be running for a position because I think that I’ve played a big role in building up the profile of the party during the leadership contest.”
Her comments came after her speech at the Labour conference in Manchester where she told delegates: “Having come through a very collegiate leadership election which I believe helped to build the party, and believing that it is vital that we all pull together to come back into power as quickly as possible, I have chosen to put my hat in the ring for the shadow cabinet.
“I will work, as I worked in the leadership campaign, collectively and responsibly and as part of a team - but still the Diane Abbott this party knows.”
Although she refused to be drawn on which position in the Shadow Cabinet she would be most interested in, Ms Abbott could have been dropping a hint when she said: “I hope as a whole I would be a strong voice for London.”
You may also want to watch:
That Ms Abbott chose to mention London could mean that she has an eye on Shadow Minister for London, currently held by Tessa Jowell.
She added: “If I make the cabinet, I will serve at the pleasure of the leader.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 9 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta