Abbott to vye for Shadow Cabinet
Diane Abbott has confirmed that she will be throwing her hat into the ring for a post in new leader Ed Milliband’s Shadow Cabinet.
Ms Abbott told the Gazette this afternoon: “I will be running for a position because I think that I’ve played a big role in building up the profile of the party during the leadership contest.”
Her comments came after her speech at the Labour conference in Manchester where she told delegates: “Having come through a very collegiate leadership election which I believe helped to build the party, and believing that it is vital that we all pull together to come back into power as quickly as possible, I have chosen to put my hat in the ring for the shadow cabinet.
“I will work, as I worked in the leadership campaign, collectively and responsibly and as part of a team - but still the Diane Abbott this party knows.”
Although she refused to be drawn on which position in the Shadow Cabinet she would be most interested in, Ms Abbott could have been dropping a hint when she said: “I hope as a whole I would be a strong voice for London.”
You may also want to watch:
That Ms Abbott chose to mention London could mean that she has an eye on Shadow Minister for London, currently held by Tessa Jowell.
She added: “If I make the cabinet, I will serve at the pleasure of the leader.”
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 4 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers