Abbott to vye for Shadow Cabinet
Diane Abbott has confirmed that she will be throwing her hat into the ring for a post in new leader Ed Milliband’s Shadow Cabinet.
Ms Abbott told the Gazette this afternoon: “I will be running for a position because I think that I’ve played a big role in building up the profile of the party during the leadership contest.”
Her comments came after her speech at the Labour conference in Manchester where she told delegates: “Having come through a very collegiate leadership election which I believe helped to build the party, and believing that it is vital that we all pull together to come back into power as quickly as possible, I have chosen to put my hat in the ring for the shadow cabinet.
“I will work, as I worked in the leadership campaign, collectively and responsibly and as part of a team - but still the Diane Abbott this party knows.”
Although she refused to be drawn on which position in the Shadow Cabinet she would be most interested in, Ms Abbott could have been dropping a hint when she said: “I hope as a whole I would be a strong voice for London.”
You may also want to watch:
That Ms Abbott chose to mention London could mean that she has an eye on Shadow Minister for London, currently held by Tessa Jowell.
She added: “If I make the cabinet, I will serve at the pleasure of the leader.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities