By-election called as Clissold ward Labour councillor resigns
- Credit: Archant
A council by-election will take place alongside the General Election after the resignation of Clissold ward councillor Ned Hercock for personal reasons.
Labour's Cllr Hercock served for five-and-a-half years but has vacated his seat with immediate effect.
"I'm standing down for personal reasons," he said. "I'm very proud of what's been achieved in that time by the mayors, their cabinets, and the wider team of Labour councillors.
"The borough has great officers who work hard to deliver these aims, and a public who support the vision of a fairer, greener, more liveable city. I love Hackney and its people, whom it has been a great privilege to serve."
Candidates for the by-election will be selected in the coming days. The winner will join Clissold's two Labour councillors Sophie Cameron and Sade Etti.
You may also want to watch:
"We wish Ned well and thank him for the service he has given Hackney," said Cllr Ian Rathbone, chair of Hackney Labour group of councillors.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 2 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 3 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 8 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 9 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 10 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month