By-election called as Clissold ward Labour councillor resigns
- Credit: Archant
A council by-election will take place alongside the General Election after the resignation of Clissold ward councillor Ned Hercock for personal reasons.
Labour's Cllr Hercock served for five-and-a-half years but has vacated his seat with immediate effect.
"I'm standing down for personal reasons," he said. "I'm very proud of what's been achieved in that time by the mayors, their cabinets, and the wider team of Labour councillors.
"The borough has great officers who work hard to deliver these aims, and a public who support the vision of a fairer, greener, more liveable city. I love Hackney and its people, whom it has been a great privilege to serve."
Candidates for the by-election will be selected in the coming days. The winner will join Clissold's two Labour councillors Sophie Cameron and Sade Etti.
You may also want to watch:
"We wish Ned well and thank him for the service he has given Hackney," said Cllr Ian Rathbone, chair of Hackney Labour group of councillors.
- 1 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 2 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 3 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 4 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 5 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 8 Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- 9 Hackney flat block damaged as 25 firefighters respond to barbecue blaze
- 10 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign