‘Deadly winter’ ahead for refugees warns Diane Abbott ahead of rally
- Credit: Archant
Diane Abbott has called on the government to do more to help refugees, ahead of a rally today addressing their plight.
She joined Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn, social commentator Owen Jones and comedian Francesca Martinez at the Refugees Welcome Here rally, called in response to the failure of EU leaders to reach a political agreement on taking a fair proportion of refugees currently stranded in Europe.
With winter approaching thousands of refugees are stuck in slums without proper shelter, warmth and sanitation.
MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, Diane Abbott, said: “With refugees facing a deadly winter and many having lost their lives in the Mediterranean, our government will be judged shamefully by history for its’ woefully inadequate response to this crisis.
“Britain has a proud tradition of welcoming those in need of help. It is time for our government and fortress Europe to respond with humanity - I am proud to join this rally which will say loud and clear refugees welcome here.”
The rally takes place at 6.30pm today at the Camden Centre, Bidborough Street, Kings Cross.
- 1 Operation Mincemeat: Role of Hackney mortuary marked in Colin Firth film
- 2 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 3 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 4 Loyal customers given shares in new craft beer company
- 5 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 6 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 7 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 Politicians urged to rethink plans for £600m waste incinerator
- 10 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life