‘Deadly winter’ ahead for refugees warns Diane Abbott ahead of rally
- Credit: Archant
Diane Abbott has called on the government to do more to help refugees, ahead of a rally today addressing their plight.
She joined Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn, social commentator Owen Jones and comedian Francesca Martinez at the Refugees Welcome Here rally, called in response to the failure of EU leaders to reach a political agreement on taking a fair proportion of refugees currently stranded in Europe.
With winter approaching thousands of refugees are stuck in slums without proper shelter, warmth and sanitation.
MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, Diane Abbott, said: “With refugees facing a deadly winter and many having lost their lives in the Mediterranean, our government will be judged shamefully by history for its’ woefully inadequate response to this crisis.
“Britain has a proud tradition of welcoming those in need of help. It is time for our government and fortress Europe to respond with humanity - I am proud to join this rally which will say loud and clear refugees welcome here.”
You may also want to watch:
The rally takes place at 6.30pm today at the Camden Centre, Bidborough Street, Kings Cross.
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 3 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 7 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 8 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 9 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 10 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site