‘Deadly winter’ ahead for refugees warns Diane Abbott ahead of rally
- Credit: Archant
Diane Abbott has called on the government to do more to help refugees, ahead of a rally today addressing their plight.
She joined Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn, social commentator Owen Jones and comedian Francesca Martinez at the Refugees Welcome Here rally, called in response to the failure of EU leaders to reach a political agreement on taking a fair proportion of refugees currently stranded in Europe.
With winter approaching thousands of refugees are stuck in slums without proper shelter, warmth and sanitation.
MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, Diane Abbott, said: “With refugees facing a deadly winter and many having lost their lives in the Mediterranean, our government will be judged shamefully by history for its’ woefully inadequate response to this crisis.
“Britain has a proud tradition of welcoming those in need of help. It is time for our government and fortress Europe to respond with humanity - I am proud to join this rally which will say loud and clear refugees welcome here.”
You may also want to watch:
The rally takes place at 6.30pm today at the Camden Centre, Bidborough Street, Kings Cross.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service