‘Deadly winter’ ahead for refugees warns Diane Abbott ahead of rally
- Credit: Archant
Diane Abbott has called on the government to do more to help refugees, ahead of a rally today addressing their plight.
She joined Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn, social commentator Owen Jones and comedian Francesca Martinez at the Refugees Welcome Here rally, called in response to the failure of EU leaders to reach a political agreement on taking a fair proportion of refugees currently stranded in Europe.
With winter approaching thousands of refugees are stuck in slums without proper shelter, warmth and sanitation.
MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, Diane Abbott, said: “With refugees facing a deadly winter and many having lost their lives in the Mediterranean, our government will be judged shamefully by history for its’ woefully inadequate response to this crisis.
“Britain has a proud tradition of welcoming those in need of help. It is time for our government and fortress Europe to respond with humanity - I am proud to join this rally which will say loud and clear refugees welcome here.”
You may also want to watch:
The rally takes place at 6.30pm today at the Camden Centre, Bidborough Street, Kings Cross.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 10 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia