Elections: Voters complain of problems at Hackney polling stations
- Credit: PA WIRE
Voters in Hackney have complained of problems at polling stations, with one man claiming he was turned away from the ballot box.
Dan Webster posted on Twitter: “Despite registering to vote& receiving polling card, I’ve been left off Hackney voting register and told I am unable to vote @HackneyAbbott”.
The situation is reminiscent of last year’s General Election, when 1,300 registered people were almost robbed of their vote.
Another voter said “confused staff” at Stoke Newington Town Hall when the polling booths opened at 7am resulted in no one being given ballot papers.
Martin Wright took to Twitter to vent his frustration, posting: “Just tried to vote at #stokenewingtontownhall. Long Q. Confused staff. Muddle over who on lists. No-one given ballot papers. #Elections2016”.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokeswoman said: “We had a very busy start to the day at Stoke Newington Town Hall. As soon as we were made aware of this, we sent extra poll staff to help.”
The council has replaced the “substandard” elections team who oversaw last year’s General Election, when officers were forced to send out emergency lists to polling stations with the names of people who were not on the electoral register but who had signed up to vote in good time.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 4 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
The problems were put down to staff failing to get to grips with the new Individual Electoral Registration system.
Following a damning report by the Electoral Commission. the new team was brought in to oversee the “significant challenges” posed by having two polling days so close together this year, with the EU Referndum on June 23.
Find your nearest polling station at here.
Are you having problems voting in Hackney? Contact Sam on 020 8477 3969 or email email@example.com.