Family of Hackney pensioner abused by nurse launch petition calling for CCTV in all care homes
- Credit: Archant
The family of a 92-year-old dementia patient who was abused by a violent nurse in the Seacole Nursing Home in Nuttall Street, Hoxton, have collected more than 20,000 signatures on a petition calling for CCTV in all care homes.
Bridget Rees, who died in May, was secretly filmed being abused by Faderera Grace Bello, 54, after her family installed CCTV in the NHS-run Mary Seacole Nursing Home in Nuttall Street, Hoxton.
Bello was heard telling Mrs Rees to “shut up” and was also filmed manhandling the victim in a heavy-handed manner, at one point poking her in the head and face.
She admitted carer ill-treatment and wilful neglect at Snaresbrook Crown Court and was jailed for four months.
Mrs Rees’ family has been out collecting signatures since the court hearing last month to make sure no other elderly person or family has to go through what has been a “terrible ordeal” for them. They hope to get 100,000 signatures for the issue to be eligible for debate in the House of Commons.
You may also want to watch:
Her granddaughter Donna Davis, of Amhurst Road, who works as a learning support co-ordinator at Wentworth Nursery School, is spending her six-week summer holiday collecting signatures.
She said: “What we found was happening to my nan was sickening and evil.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
“We strongly believe without the footage from the hidden camera, we wouldn’t have been believed, my nan would never have been believed. It makes me feel sick it happened to start with and having to tell this story day in, day out makes me feel sick.
“As a healthy young person who can stand up for myself, I wouldn’t be able to stand that sort of person let alone a 92-year old who is lying in bed and can’t move.”
She continued: “We have been going out for weeks now. We are feeling really positive with the public’s response, we have got so many signatures so quickly.
“We are not saying every worker in this profession is abusive and doing the wrong things, but there are people out there and things should be done to safeguard them.”
See the petition here: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/cctv-in-all-care-nursing-home-in-uk.