Hackney councillor Alex Kuye forced to step down over ill health
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney councillor has been forced to step down from his position due to ill-health less than six months after being elected.
Alex Kuye, who won 1,709 votes in Victoria ward at the May election, will now vacate the seat.
A spokesperson for the Hackney Labour group said Alex had shown great courage in the face of a serious illness.
They added: “We are very sorry to see Alex go after such a short time in office.
“However, we agreed with him that he would find it impossible to manage his role effectively as a councillor and cope with his illness, and have accepted his wishes to resign.”
You may also want to watch:
Alex, who has also served as a member of the Lonfon Young Labour BAME Network, was elected alongside returning councillor Katie Hanson and fellow newcomer Clare Joseph in May.
It came after Cllr Geoff Taylor stepped down after 16 years.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
A by-election will now be scheduled, although no further details are known at this stage as to when it will be.