Hillier slams Cameron over “national embarrassment” of Shoreditch broadband problems
- Credit: Archant
The delay in getting super-fast broadband to Hackney is a “national embarrassment”, Meg Hillier MP told the commons this afternoon.
During a heated exchange in Prime Minister’s Questions, Hillier, MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch demanded to know what David Cameron would do to fix the issue, which has plagued businesses across the borough.
Speaking in the House of Commons, she said: “They’ve had breakfast with Boris, tea at no.10 and dancing with the business secretary, but small businesses in Shoreditch still cannot get super-fast broadband.
“This is now a national embarrassment.”
The prime minister said that the newly-appointed business secretary Sajid Javid is “working very hard” to fix the problem, and that he’ll ensure Hackney is on his list.
Despite the now nationally famous Tech City in Shoreditch, the area still does not have access to super-fast fibre optic broadband.
- 1 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 De Beauvoir mother and son campaign to keep the 21 bus route
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after being caught with cannabis and cash
- 6 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 7 'Deeply shocked and troubled': Reports of rising anti-Semitic crime
- 8 ‘The people of Edmonton will stop this incinerator’ - Protestors promise more action if plan is signed off
- 9 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 10 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney