Rosemary Sales takes over as the new Speaker of Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Rosemary Sales, Stamford Hill West ward councillor has been announced as the new Speaker of Hackney.
The role is carried out by a serving councillor who is elected to the office for one year by fellow council members at their annual meeting in May.
The Speaker’s role is to chair full council meetings, attend events, welcome visitors to Hackney and preside over citizenship ceremonies.
Having lived in Hackney for four decades, Sales, a former economics and social policy lecturer and an enthusiastic singer is looking forward to a busy year ahead.
Her top priorities will be fund-raising for the two charities she has chosen - the North London Action for the Homeless and Hackney Migrant Centre - as well as increasing awareness of road safety and cycling and promoting music.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Sales said: “I feel very privileged to have been elected Speaker. Hackney is a wonderfully diverse borough and I look forward to meeting with communities, organisations and schools across Hackney and to working together to help maintain our traditions of living peacefully and harmoniously together.
Cllr Sales takes the mantle from Cllr Sade Etti. She will be supported this year by the Deputy Speaker, Cllr Soraya Adejare.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared