Rosemary Sales takes over as the new Speaker of Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Rosemary Sales, Stamford Hill West ward councillor has been announced as the new Speaker of Hackney.
The role is carried out by a serving councillor who is elected to the office for one year by fellow council members at their annual meeting in May.
The Speaker’s role is to chair full council meetings, attend events, welcome visitors to Hackney and preside over citizenship ceremonies.
Having lived in Hackney for four decades, Sales, a former economics and social policy lecturer and an enthusiastic singer is looking forward to a busy year ahead.
Her top priorities will be fund-raising for the two charities she has chosen - the North London Action for the Homeless and Hackney Migrant Centre - as well as increasing awareness of road safety and cycling and promoting music.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Sales said: “I feel very privileged to have been elected Speaker. Hackney is a wonderfully diverse borough and I look forward to meeting with communities, organisations and schools across Hackney and to working together to help maintain our traditions of living peacefully and harmoniously together.
Cllr Sales takes the mantle from Cllr Sade Etti. She will be supported this year by the Deputy Speaker, Cllr Soraya Adejare.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 8 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 9 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes