Local heroes: Hackney friends make care packages for Covid-19 patients
- Credit: Care Packages Uk
A Hackney nurse and her friend have joined forces to deliver care packages to Covid-19 patients all over London.
Nurse Pam Robertshaw and Bella Phillips have been putting together toiletries style care packages full of essentials to give to coronavirus patients and have raised about £1500 for the project since they started fundraising on April 11.
Bella Phillips told the Gazette: “Being admitted to hospital with Covid-19 can be a very scary and isolating time for people. As families aren’t able to visit patients, they don’t have all the nice things that their families would normally be able to bring in for them.”
The packages include a toothbrush, toothpaste, shower gel, lip salve, a comb and a hand-made Lino print.
The pair delivered the first 100 to Chelsea and Westminster hospital, where Pam works, last Saturday (April 18).
You may also want to watch:
Upon delivering the packages volunteers from the hospital drop them off to patients.
Bella said: “The packs are a small and practical way of showing care and love for the patients through this unsettling time.”
To donate click here or send money through paypal to the account: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more info visit the Care Packages facebook page by clicking hereFor the latest coronavirus news from Hackney and across London follow our live blog here, visit our corona virus page, or join our Facebook group here.
Or to find more groups, networks and organisations like this in Hackney providing support during the Coronavirus lockdown visit our There With You Essential List.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site