London 2012: Olympics day one in pictures
Britain’s hopes of winning a gold on the first day of the Games failed to materialise, but thousands of sports fans still enjoyed a sunny start to the Olympics.
Cyclist Mark Cavendish began the day as one of Team GB’s best hopes for a gold, as thousands of people lined the route of the men’s road race through Surrey into central London.
While the 250km route was packed with spectators, the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) launched an investigation into empty seats at venues on the Olympic Park.
There were also empty seats at the Aquatics Centre, but the venue did see a few high-profile spectators, including the Queen, who also visited the Athletes’ Village, and American First Lady Michelle Obama.
The first medal of the Games was won by Chinese shooter Yi Siling in the women’s 10m air rifle.
You may also want to watch:
Among the competitors on the first day of the Games were tennis players Andy Murray and Roger Federer and swimmer Michael Phelps.
Check out our picture gallery of day one of the Games on this page.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 6 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 9 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust