Damaged mobile power bank likely cause of Hackney house blaze
- Credit: London Fire Brigade
Firefighters rushed to the scene of a Hackney house fire yesterday which was believed to have been caused by a damaged mobile power bank.
The London Fire Brigade (LFB) was called at about 1.30pm to Parkholme Road in London Fields on Monday, June 21.
Part of a room on the ground floor of a detached house was damaged by the incident and four people left the building before the brigade arrived. There were no reports of injuries.
Investigators believe the fire was accidental and caused by the failure of a lithium-ion battery within a mobile phone power bank.
A LFB spokesperson said: “Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them.
You may also want to watch:
“Unplug devices once they have finished charging and make sure you use the right charger for your device.”
The fire was under control by 2.06pm and three fire engines and about 15 firefighters attended the scene.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 6 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 7 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 8 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 9 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney