London Fields Lido floodlighting will allow extended hours during winter
- Credit: Archant
Poolside floodlighting could be installed at London Fields Lido after swimmers complained about its reduced opening hours during the darker winter months.
The heated outdoor pool has been much in demand since reopening in 2006 after a public campaign, and last year over 198,000 people used the pool off Richmond Road.
Hackney Council and social enterprise leisure group GLL, which runs the pool, are consulting on plans to install the floodlighting, which they say has been “carefully selected” to minimise potential light pollution.
They have promised to schedule quieter activities like lane swimming and lessons will for the hours during the operation of the lights.
Immediate neighbours and “key users” of the pool have been invited to view the proposals and have their say at a meeting early next month.
You may also want to watch:
Two further public drop-in exhibitions will be held on Wednesday February 19 from 3pm to 7pm and Thursday February 20 from 4pm to 8pm in London Fields Lido.
A council spokesman said: “Residents’ feedback will be taken into account during the project planning process and will influence the eventual planning application.”
- 1 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 2 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Queens Birthday Honours List 2021: MP Meg Hillier and poet Lemn Sissay among those recognised
- 4 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 5 Hackney could lose Dalston ward to Islington under proposed redrawing of electoral map
- 6 Diane Abbott to join 'Geffrye Must Fall' protest at museum reopening
- 7 Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- 8 Woman charged with murder after Stamford Hill fatal stabbing
- 9 Hoxton's new Britannia Leisure Centre to open this month
- 10 The Museum of the Home 'welcomes peaceful protest' over Geffrye statue
Anyone who is unable to attend the meeting can send their questions or comments by e-mail to email@example.com.