London Fields Lido floodlighting will allow extended hours during winter
- Credit: Archant
Poolside floodlighting could be installed at London Fields Lido after swimmers complained about its reduced opening hours during the darker winter months.
The heated outdoor pool has been much in demand since reopening in 2006 after a public campaign, and last year over 198,000 people used the pool off Richmond Road.
Hackney Council and social enterprise leisure group GLL, which runs the pool, are consulting on plans to install the floodlighting, which they say has been “carefully selected” to minimise potential light pollution.
They have promised to schedule quieter activities like lane swimming and lessons will for the hours during the operation of the lights.
Immediate neighbours and “key users” of the pool have been invited to view the proposals and have their say at a meeting early next month.
You may also want to watch:
Two further public drop-in exhibitions will be held on Wednesday February 19 from 3pm to 7pm and Thursday February 20 from 4pm to 8pm in London Fields Lido.
A council spokesman said: “Residents’ feedback will be taken into account during the project planning process and will influence the eventual planning application.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 9 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 10 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
Anyone who is unable to attend the meeting can send their questions or comments by e-mail to email@example.com.