London Fields Lido reopens on Thursday...here’s what it looks like after its nine-month refurb
- Credit: Archant
Better late than never. The London Fields Lido reopens tomorrow – more than six months after it was meant to.
When the Gazette visited today, divers were carrying out a last round of checks and finishing up the cleaning of the pool ready for the big day.
As if to prove the lido really was usable after so many delays, the council invited 20 members of its user group for an early morning swim.
“There are some signs around the pool asking users to send us any feedback or report issues,” said a council spokesman.
Cllr Jon Burke has apologised repeatedly for the late opening, which was meant to take place in summer, then “late summer”, then at the end of September. Then it was pushed back two further times.
You may also want to watch:
The delays snowballed as the much-lauded refurb to fix the crumbly old tiles turned out to be shoddy and unsafe.
That, embarrassingly, was despite a lengthy tendering process that saw a 2016 closure announced and then scrapped when no one good enough could be found.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year