London Fields Lido reopens on Thursday...here’s what it looks like after its nine-month refurb
- Credit: Archant
Better late than never. The London Fields Lido reopens tomorrow – more than six months after it was meant to.
When the Gazette visited today, divers were carrying out a last round of checks and finishing up the cleaning of the pool ready for the big day.
As if to prove the lido really was usable after so many delays, the council invited 20 members of its user group for an early morning swim.
“There are some signs around the pool asking users to send us any feedback or report issues,” said a council spokesman.
Cllr Jon Burke has apologised repeatedly for the late opening, which was meant to take place in summer, then “late summer”, then at the end of September. Then it was pushed back two further times.
You may also want to watch:
The delays snowballed as the much-lauded refurb to fix the crumbly old tiles turned out to be shoddy and unsafe.
That, embarrassingly, was despite a lengthy tendering process that saw a 2016 closure announced and then scrapped when no one good enough could be found.
- 1 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 2 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 3 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 4 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 5 All you need to know about the Hackney by-elections on May 6
- 6 Hackney New School to complain to Ofcom over damning ITV report
- 7 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 8 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 9 Doctors 'concerned' patients' health will suffer due to non-Covid backlog
- 10 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in