London Fields Lido to close until spring for ‘urgent repairs’
- Credit: Archant
“Urgent maintenance work” to repair cracking tiles will close London Fields Lido for months.
Hackney Council will shut the popular outdoor pool from the end of November until spring while workers remove and replace all the tiles, screed and render.
Temporary barriers were installed earlier this year after tiles started to crack in the pool and tests found problems with the stone between the pool tank and the render holding the tiles.
While closed, the town hall will also “modernise” the facilities by improving the changing rooms and reception area.
Community services boss Cllr Jon Burke, said: “Although we are disappointed at being forced to close the Lido for urgent repairs, we have decided to take advantage of this unavoidable closure to refurbish the indoor changing rooms and reception area.
You may also want to watch:
“This means swimmers will be able to enjoy better, more modern facilities when the Lido reopens next year.”
Pre-paid members will still be able to swim - at no extra cost - at Britannia, Clissold and Kings Hall Leisure Centres. Members will also be able to swim at the London Aquatics Centre in the Olympic Park, Charlton Lido, and any other swimming pool managed by Better.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 6 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 7 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 10 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
The new health and fitness facilities in Queensbridge Sports and Community Centre are also open to lido members, who can also freeze their membership until it’s open ago.
For more information visit hackney.gov.uk/london-fields-lido.