London Fields Lido to close until spring for ‘urgent repairs’
- Credit: Archant
“Urgent maintenance work” to repair cracking tiles will close London Fields Lido for months.
Hackney Council will shut the popular outdoor pool from the end of November until spring while workers remove and replace all the tiles, screed and render.
Temporary barriers were installed earlier this year after tiles started to crack in the pool and tests found problems with the stone between the pool tank and the render holding the tiles.
While closed, the town hall will also “modernise” the facilities by improving the changing rooms and reception area.
Community services boss Cllr Jon Burke, said: “Although we are disappointed at being forced to close the Lido for urgent repairs, we have decided to take advantage of this unavoidable closure to refurbish the indoor changing rooms and reception area.
You may also want to watch:
“This means swimmers will be able to enjoy better, more modern facilities when the Lido reopens next year.”
Pre-paid members will still be able to swim - at no extra cost - at Britannia, Clissold and Kings Hall Leisure Centres. Members will also be able to swim at the London Aquatics Centre in the Olympic Park, Charlton Lido, and any other swimming pool managed by Better.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 5 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
The new health and fitness facilities in Queensbridge Sports and Community Centre are also open to lido members, who can also freeze their membership until it’s open ago.
For more information visit hackney.gov.uk/london-fields-lido.