London Fields Lido to close until spring for ‘urgent repairs’
- Credit: Archant
“Urgent maintenance work” to repair cracking tiles will close London Fields Lido for months.
Hackney Council will shut the popular outdoor pool from the end of November until spring while workers remove and replace all the tiles, screed and render.
Temporary barriers were installed earlier this year after tiles started to crack in the pool and tests found problems with the stone between the pool tank and the render holding the tiles.
While closed, the town hall will also “modernise” the facilities by improving the changing rooms and reception area.
Community services boss Cllr Jon Burke, said: “Although we are disappointed at being forced to close the Lido for urgent repairs, we have decided to take advantage of this unavoidable closure to refurbish the indoor changing rooms and reception area.
“This means swimmers will be able to enjoy better, more modern facilities when the Lido reopens next year.”
Pre-paid members will still be able to swim - at no extra cost - at Britannia, Clissold and Kings Hall Leisure Centres. Members will also be able to swim at the London Aquatics Centre in the Olympic Park, Charlton Lido, and any other swimming pool managed by Better.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 3 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 4 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 7 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 8 Hackney festival celebrating Turkish and Kurdish culture returns
- 9 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
The new health and fitness facilities in Queensbridge Sports and Community Centre are also open to lido members, who can also freeze their membership until it’s open ago.
For more information visit hackney.gov.uk/london-fields-lido.