London Fields Lido to close until spring for ‘urgent repairs’
- Credit: Archant
“Urgent maintenance work” to repair cracking tiles will close London Fields Lido for months.
Hackney Council will shut the popular outdoor pool from the end of November until spring while workers remove and replace all the tiles, screed and render.
Temporary barriers were installed earlier this year after tiles started to crack in the pool and tests found problems with the stone between the pool tank and the render holding the tiles.
While closed, the town hall will also “modernise” the facilities by improving the changing rooms and reception area.
Community services boss Cllr Jon Burke, said: “Although we are disappointed at being forced to close the Lido for urgent repairs, we have decided to take advantage of this unavoidable closure to refurbish the indoor changing rooms and reception area.
You may also want to watch:
“This means swimmers will be able to enjoy better, more modern facilities when the Lido reopens next year.”
Pre-paid members will still be able to swim - at no extra cost - at Britannia, Clissold and Kings Hall Leisure Centres. Members will also be able to swim at the London Aquatics Centre in the Olympic Park, Charlton Lido, and any other swimming pool managed by Better.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
The new health and fitness facilities in Queensbridge Sports and Community Centre are also open to lido members, who can also freeze their membership until it’s open ago.
For more information visit hackney.gov.uk/london-fields-lido.