London Fields road survey results still remain hidden
Hackney Council has failed to share the results of a road survey completed seven months ago, which they say proves the necessity of shutting off 16 roads in London Fields to through traffic.
The area is set for pending lock down, with a trial penned in for January of Hackney Council’s plans to close off the roads without having held a prior consultation.
The council has dubbed the project ‘one of the largest and most progressive of its kind in London’ and says it will deal with rat-running and ‘high volumes of non-local motor traffic using the residential streets’, thus reducing pollution.
The plans have split residents, with some signing a petition calling for ‘greener streets’, while others who are angry over fears traffic and pollution will worsen, have set up a counter-petition.
They believe there is no traffic problem and claim the council is trying to solve a “non-existent problem”.
You may also want to watch:
Three weeks ago the Gazette asked the council for a copy of the survey completed in April to “accurately quantify current traffic volumes and patterns”.
But a spokesman for the council said it was “so far in a format that’s only meaningful to transport bods” and that they were “working on a version for the general public”.
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 Hackney Downs anti-vax camp cost £50,000 to remove
- 3 No shortage of energy for runners in the Hackney Half and 5K
- 4 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 5 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 6 Mosaic unveiled near Finsbury Park station entrance at City North
- 7 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
- 8 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 9 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 10 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
But on Wednesday as the Gazette went to press, it was still not available, apparently because use of an external company was “complicating the issue”.
Meanwhile Mike Hood who set up a petition against the plans, asked the council for a copy through the Freedom of Information Act on October 23.
The 20 working day period expired last week and he has had no response.
Mr Hood said: “We are all very interested to see the results of the traffic survey. You would have thought they would have taken this information and used the detailed analysis to come up with the proposed road closure scheme.”
A public meeting to discuss the proposals had to be called off two weeks ago after about 120 concerned residents could not squeeze into the tiny room it was scheduled to be held in.
Cllr Emma Plouviez addressed an angry crowd on the streets and told them: “As one of your three councillors on the ward it is my job to represent the force of feeling here tonight, which is that you would rather have a full public consultation before the implementation of this scheme.”
A public meeting to discuss the scheme will take place in Hackney Town Hall, Mare Street, on Monday December 14,