London Fields: Sunbather in hospital after being run over by park cleaner van
- Credit: Archant
A London Fields sunbather has been rushed to hospital after being run over by a parks van this morning.
The council worker was cleaning up the barbecue area near Landsdowne Drive when his van hit the man in the head at about 10.30am.
The air ambulance landed on the park shortly after and the man, in his 30s, was rushed to hospital.
Hackney Council has now closed the area, which is hugely popular in the summer months due to the allowance of barbecues and attracted hundreds of people yesterday.
A Hackney Council spokesman said: “There was an accident this morning in the barbecue area of London Fields involving one of our parks vehicles and a member of the public. They have been taken to hospital for treatment, and our thoughts are with them and their family.
You may also want to watch:
“This is obviously a serious incident and both the police and ourselves are investigating. The barbecue area will be closed until further notice.”
Police are investigating and it is believed the driver of the van is being held for questioning.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Scotland Yard said officers were not treating the incident as suspicious.