London Fields: Sunbather in hospital after being run over by park cleaner van
- Credit: Archant
A London Fields sunbather has been rushed to hospital after being run over by a parks van this morning.
The council worker was cleaning up the barbecue area near Landsdowne Drive when his van hit the man in the head at about 10.30am.
The air ambulance landed on the park shortly after and the man, in his 30s, was rushed to hospital.
Hackney Council has now closed the area, which is hugely popular in the summer months due to the allowance of barbecues and attracted hundreds of people yesterday.
A Hackney Council spokesman said: “There was an accident this morning in the barbecue area of London Fields involving one of our parks vehicles and a member of the public. They have been taken to hospital for treatment, and our thoughts are with them and their family.
You may also want to watch:
“This is obviously a serious incident and both the police and ourselves are investigating. The barbecue area will be closed until further notice.”
Police are investigating and it is believed the driver of the van is being held for questioning.
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
Scotland Yard said officers were not treating the incident as suspicious.