London Fields: Sunbather in hospital after being run over by park cleaner van
- Credit: Archant
A London Fields sunbather has been rushed to hospital after being run over by a parks van this morning.
The council worker was cleaning up the barbecue area near Landsdowne Drive when his van hit the man in the head at about 10.30am.
The air ambulance landed on the park shortly after and the man, in his 30s, was rushed to hospital.
Hackney Council has now closed the area, which is hugely popular in the summer months due to the allowance of barbecues and attracted hundreds of people yesterday.
A Hackney Council spokesman said: “There was an accident this morning in the barbecue area of London Fields involving one of our parks vehicles and a member of the public. They have been taken to hospital for treatment, and our thoughts are with them and their family.
You may also want to watch:
“This is obviously a serious incident and both the police and ourselves are investigating. The barbecue area will be closed until further notice.”
Police are investigating and it is believed the driver of the van is being held for questioning.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 2 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 3 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
Scotland Yard said officers were not treating the incident as suspicious.