London Fields: Sunbather run over by rubbish van ‘not seriously injured’
- Credit: Archant
A sunbather run over by a council rubbish van in a horrific accident at London Fields yesterday morning has escaped serious injury, the Gazette can reveal.
The man in his 30s was rushed to hospital after being hit in the head while lying in the barbeque area at about 10.30am.
Police have this morning told the Gazette he has “not suffered serious injuries” but the Gazette understands he has a fractured cheekbone.
The barbecue section of the park is hugely popular during the summer months and the park ranger was clearing it of the rubbish left by the hundreds of visitors the previous day when his van hit the man in the face.
Hackney Council locked off the section until 2.30pm while police investigated. No arrests were made and Scotland Yard said officers were not treating the incident as suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
The town hall is also investigating the “serious incident”.
Did you see anything or do you know the man who was injured? Contact Sam on 020 7433 0104 or email@example.com.
- 1 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 4 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 5 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 6 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 7 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Man who punched pregnant woman in Stamford Hill convicted
- 10 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site