London Fields: Sunbather run over by rubbish van ‘not seriously injured’
- Credit: Archant
A sunbather run over by a council rubbish van in a horrific accident at London Fields yesterday morning has escaped serious injury, the Gazette can reveal.
The man in his 30s was rushed to hospital after being hit in the head while lying in the barbeque area at about 10.30am.
Police have this morning told the Gazette he has “not suffered serious injuries” but the Gazette understands he has a fractured cheekbone.
The barbecue section of the park is hugely popular during the summer months and the park ranger was clearing it of the rubbish left by the hundreds of visitors the previous day when his van hit the man in the face.
Hackney Council locked off the section until 2.30pm while police investigated. No arrests were made and Scotland Yard said officers were not treating the incident as suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
The town hall is also investigating the “serious incident”.
Did you see anything or do you know the man who was injured? Contact Sam on 020 7433 0104 or email@example.com.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 8 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse