London Fields: Sunbather run over by rubbish van ‘not seriously injured’
- Credit: Archant
A sunbather run over by a council rubbish van in a horrific accident at London Fields yesterday morning has escaped serious injury, the Gazette can reveal.
The man in his 30s was rushed to hospital after being hit in the head while lying in the barbeque area at about 10.30am.
Police have this morning told the Gazette he has “not suffered serious injuries” but the Gazette understands he has a fractured cheekbone.
The barbecue section of the park is hugely popular during the summer months and the park ranger was clearing it of the rubbish left by the hundreds of visitors the previous day when his van hit the man in the face.
Hackney Council locked off the section until 2.30pm while police investigated. No arrests were made and Scotland Yard said officers were not treating the incident as suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
The town hall is also investigating the “serious incident”.
Did you see anything or do you know the man who was injured? Contact Sam on 020 7433 0104 or email@example.com.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction